Guide to Basic Horse Equipment and Care
If you plan to purchase a horse, there are several items that you will want to be sure to purchase in order to properly care for your equine friend. Here are some of the items you will need:
- Grooming Kit: Prevent the possibility of spreading infection by keeping your brushes clean and avoiding sharing brushes on more than one horse.
- Tack: Saddles, bridles, boots and fabric girths will all be necessary. Keep these items clean and supple with leather soap and balm. You should also be sure to regularly check the stitching and store them on a proper rack.
- Rugs: Regularly check the buckles, straps and clips while also keeping rugs as clean as possible.
- Yard Equipment: Buckets and tubs may be used for feeding in the yard. Flexible rubber tubs are ideal for this situation.
- First Aid Kit: First aid kits are essential when unexpected problems arise. Be sure to check the expiration dates on medications and creams regularly.
You will also want to be sure to purchase equipment to keep yourself safe. A helmet, a body protector and riding boots will all help to keep you safe while riding. When selecting boots, be sure to look for a pair with a suitable sole and a small heel in order to prevent slipping through the stirrup iron.