Exercising Horses in Hot Summer Weather: Tips for Safety and Comfort
Exercising horses in hot summer weather can be a difficult task.
The heat and high humidity can quickly take its toll on your horse, leaving them feeling fatigued and uncomfortable. Here are some tips to help you safely exercise your horse during the hot summer months:
1. Start early or late to avoid the hottest part of the day. Try to plan your rides either early in the morning or late in the evening when temperatures are much cooler.
2. Make sure your horse is well-hydrated before and after exercising. Offer water before and after each ride, as dehydration can lead to serious health problems for horses.
3. Take frequent breaks while riding in the heat and give your horse a chance to cool down. Riding in the heat can be tough on your horse, so give them plenty of breaks and time to cool off.
4. Make sure your horse is wearing a fly sheet or blanket if necessary. Not only will this help to keep your horse cooler, but it will also protect against pesky flies that may irritate or bite them while exercising in the heat.
5. Weather permitting, exercise in an area with plenty of shade or near a body of water like a lake or river. The shade and cool water can help to keep your horse cool while still getting them some exercise.
Exercising horses in the summer months doesn’t have to be daunting if you take the appropriate precautions! By following these tips, you can ensure that your horse stays safe and comfortable while getting the exercise they need.